Newberry County Historical Museum
 

The Newberry County Museum Association was organized on May 20, 1995 with a mission to establish a Newberry County Museum.  On November 1, 1997 the City of Newberry agreed to lease the E. S. Coppock  house  to the Museum Association for housing a museum.  The Coppock house, circa 1820, stands on five acres of land overlooking down town Newberry, and includes the old Water and Lights building, circa 1929.  The Gauntt House is also situated on this tract of land. 

On January 1, 2005 The Newberry County Museum Association merged with The Newberry County Historical Society to form The Newberry County Historical and Museum Society.  Our museum has accumulated an impressive collection of artifacts and displays, relative primarily to the history of Newberry County. 

The Museum is open on the first and third Saturday of each month from 1:00 - 4:00, and will open at other times, upon request, for showings to groups and/or individuals.  There is no admission charge at present, but donations are accepted.

The Museum is located at 1503 Nance Street, behind the Public Safety Complex.  The drive is located off Cornelia Street.





      







THE GAUNTT HOUSE

The Gauntt House, circa 1808, was moved to our museum complex area in 1972 from its original location on College Street, across from the Post Office.  It was given to the Newberry County Historical Society in 1970 by the Roy Dominick family with the stipulation that it would be moved from its original site.  It was restored by the Historical Society in 1975.  Judging from construction techniques and materials, we believe that the house was built by Jacob Gauntt around 1808-1810.  However there are some, including Gauntt descendants, who believe that the house may have been built somewhat earlier, even before the American Revolution.

Jacob Gauntt’s father, Israel, came to Newberry around 1765 and settled on 350 acres of land.  Being a loyal Quaker, he did not fight in the American Revolution, but did furnish supplies to the patriots.  One of “Bloody Bill” Cunningham’s Tory gang, named Hubbs, with two cohorts set out to rob Israel.  Hubbs tricked Israel’s wife, Hanna to gain entry into the house. When he pointed his pistol at Israel, the old man’s daughter also named Hanna, threw up the weapon and wrestled Hubbs to the floor where she held him until Israel disabled him with blows to the head.  Some believe that this is the same house where that incident took place.

The Gauntt House is a small 18th-19th century vernacular style dwelling that is two stories high, with a large double shouldered Williamsburg type chimney at one end.  There is a unique doorway leading directly from the front porch to the stairs leading to the second floor.  The second floor is a single long room with a fireplace at one end. There is interior wainscoting around the two rooms downstairs.  Later additions were removed before the house was moved to its present location.  The house is furnished with interesting furnishings from period to somewhat later vintage.

The Gauntt House is located at 1503 Nance Street, behind the Public Safety Complex.  The drive is located off Cornelia Street.



FARM HISTORY - Jim Clamp works an old machines as members of the Historical Society moves
the late Bill Ballentine's equipment to the fairgrounds for display.
Newberry Observer, June 11, 2009